In October 1841 sundry individuals in and near Carrollton, GA, requested the Flint River presbytery, in session at West Point, GA, to be constituted a church known as the Carrollton Presbyterian Church. In response, the Presbytery directed two of its members to return to Carrollton and organize a church. Accordingly, the church was organized on Saturday, December 18, 1841, with the following members: Horace Smith, Paschal P. Grow, Mary Ann Kingsbery, Mrs. Elmira Grow, Elizabeth Baxter, Mary Springer, Eliza Baxter, Catherine Rogers and Mrs. Delia G. Wick.
The first pastor was Rev. J. T. Alexander who served until May 1856. After Rev. B. D. DuPree had served for several years, Rev. William Dimmock became the pastor. This sainted man served the church from 1872 until his death in 1880. Rev. James Stacy became pastor January 1881 and served until March 1888. Rev. W.W. Nesbit was pastor from the summer of 1888 until June 1892, after which Rev. R. D. Perry served one year as stated supply.
Then came the beloved Rev. W. E. Dozier whose pastorate began January 1894 and he served until September 1915. It was during his pastorate that the present church structure was erected in 1902. The Building Committee was composed of L.C. Mandeville, J.A. Aycock, and A.A. Simonton, with Rev. Dozier as ex-officio member. Rev. J. B. Gordon was pastor from 1916 until 1917, being succeeded by Rev. W. R. Henderson until 1921.
In 1922, Rev. F.L. Barber was ordained to the ministry and installed as pastor, serving until 1930. During his pastorate the pipe organ was installed. A report dated October 1927 read: “The Sunday School is flourishing. The Woman’s Auxiliary and Westminster Society are doing good work, and the Christian Endeavor Society is growing. The Church also has a well organized troop of Boy Scouts which has been in existence for five years.” It is worthy of note that Boy Scout Troop 179, organized in 1922, is still sponsored by our church and has been in continuous service for the past 52 years. The “Little White House”, the small two-story frame structure on the church grounds, was built in 1926 because there was a need for more Sunday School classrooms. Mr. Joe A. Aycock designed and supervised the building of this structure. While in Baltimore, Maryland, he visited the home of Charles Carroll, signer of the Declaration of Independence and the man for whom our town of Carrollton is named. En route, he saw a Chapel that inspired the design for our building.
Rev. J. L. McGirt was pastor from 1930 until 1937. In 1938 our church was blessed by the coming of Richard Orme Flinn Jr., to serve as pastor. This was his first pastorate and he, with enthusiasm faith, and love, inspired the congregation to a period of steady growth and service to young people and those in need in our community. While Mr. Flinn was on leave as Chaplain (Lt. Col. Infantry and Air Force) in World War II, the church was served by Rev. E. Hamilton former missionary to China. In 1945, Mr. Flinn returned and resumed his pastorate, serving until August 31, 1970. His remarkable Christian influence was felt throughout the West Georgia Area.
In 1952, Westminster Hall, the three-story add ition to the original church, was completed.
In more recent years, our church has been served well by the pastoral leadership of Rev. James W. Wofford (1971-1979), Dr. Thomas Ballard (1980-1992), Rev. Jerry Patton (1993-1995), Rev. David Shelor (1996-2002), and Rev. Jan Stewart Tolbert (2004- present). This congregation has been pivotal in the formation of various local ministries and institutions, including Oak Mountain Academy, the Carroll County Soup Kitchen, the Carroll County Emergency Women’s Shelter, and West Georgia Habitat for Humanity. When we look back over the records of the church, we are impressed with the names that are there, men and women who have left their stamp on the town and county. And there are those in the church today taking up the task in the making of a still better town and county, loving God with all their hearts, minds, strengths and souls, and their neighbors as themselves.